fletcher on 19 Sep, 2017 02:19 PM
My original plan was direct purchases, but there are a couple of issues:
1. There is no way to offer a discount to Standard owners who decide to
"Go Pro". With IAP, it is not more expensive to go
"Free->Standard->Pro" in multiple steps.
2. Apple actively pushes developers towards IAP rather than having
multiple versions of the App. The smaller app I released a few months
ago (MMD Converter) was originally going to have three versions (HTML
only, EPUB only, and PRO that offers any export format supported by
MMD). Apple rejected them for "Spam" since there were "three similar
3. Having three separate versions of the app "waters-down" the ratings,
which, unfortunately, is a major way that new customers make a buying
decision. I might be able to get away with 2 versions (e.g. current and
Pro-Only) but probably won't do 3 (e.g. current, standard-only, and
1. Once things settle down with the App, I can try to submit a separate
"Pro from the Start" version to the App Store and hope it gets approved.
They may be more likely to approve a successful app than a brand new
app. Especially if I mention your reasoning
2. I am considering selling outside of the MAS in the future, but that
will bring a whole different set of headaches (mostly for me, but
potentially some for customers).